We love Venison. And we love bourbon. And we love grilling, grilling planks and meatballs. What do you get when you combine them all? Magic. You can buy the bourbon barrel planks here on Etsy: Bourbon Barrel Grilling Planks (full disclosure – we sell them at this shop!)
- 1 Lb. Ground Venison (you can also substitute for another ground game meat, lamb, or grass fed beef)
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt (we use Himalayan Pink salt)
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tsp Garlic (granulated or diced)
- 1/2 Tsp Onion powder
- Soak Bourbon plank for at least 30 minutes to an hour
- Mix ground venison with the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix without overworking the meat.
- Form into meatballs and place on plate and refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat grill with indirect heat at 400F
- Place plank on the grill to preheat for 10 minutes. As the moisture escapes the wood fibers it brings the oak and bourbon flavor out of the barrel plank and into your meatballs!
- Once the plank is warmed up, place the meatballs on the plank
- Cook approximately 20 minutes, or to your liking. I shoot for medium for meatballs, or 150F internal temp. Do not overcook them, Venison does not have the fat content beef has and they will dry out quickly!
- They should be brown and glistening when you take them off. Enjoy them with naan and Tzatziki!
Please let us know if you try this out in the comment section!